Leap Day! I’m publishing this blog today because I can! We only get this opportunity once every 4 years, so I’m taking it!
Turns out, it takes we Earth Dwellers 365 and a quarter-ish days ( 365 days, 5 hours, 48 minutes and 47 seconds to be precise) to fully orbit the sun, so every 4 years we need to add a day to catch up with those quarters. We’ve known this for 2000+ years now, though Leap Day has moved around within the year at the whim of various leaders over the last 20 centuries. Time really is relative, and a human construct. This is the ultimate Time Management Blog!
2016 is a Leap Year, today is a Leap Day. I know it still feels like a Monday, and may look like every other day except on the page of your calendar, but today is a Gift.
My question to you is: What Can You Do With An Extra Day? An added bonus, cherry-on-top day?
And it turns out, I would probably spend it doing the things I already love.
- I’d get up early, like always. Not because I had to, but because it helps me be my best self.
- I would talk with loved ones, and spend time with my husband and sons. Time with them would be essential to making an added bonus, cherry-on-top day the best day it could be.
- I would prepare and share and eat really delicious food.
- I would still organize, though perhaps just my own home or time or brain for that day.
- I would still be productive because, honestly, I don’t find sloth enjoyable. I get pleasure out of getting things done, so my added bonus, cherry-on-top day would still be productive.
- I would read, go to Mass, go out in nature, take a nap and watch a really great movie.
- I would drink tea and eat girl scout cookies and write, just like I’m doing right now.
- I would be surrounded by music of my choosing.
- I would live in a clean, uncluttered space, and still clean up after myself, because a added bonus, cherry-on-top day, and every other day, deserves that respect, as do I.
- So long as no one was getting hurt, I would let those around me do what they choose, too.Here’s what I would not do:
- I would not argue with anyone.
- I would not talk on the phone.
- I would not watch the news.
- I would not shop, or spend much money.
- I wouldn’t hear about people shooting each other over sneakers in a Mall, or how some crazy guy killed people in my beloved hometown of Kalamazoo, because those things wouldn’t happen.I realized, as I pondered this whimsy, that every day is a gift, an added bonus, cherry-on-top day, whether its a Leap Day or any other day. Imagine how powerful this blog and every day could be if I changed the “I would’s” to “I will”.
So, to repeat my earlier question,
What Would You Do With A Gift Day? An added bonus, cherry-on-top day?
And what is keeping you from treating every day like that Gift?
Intentionally spending your time how you want, with whom you want, and in the productive endeavors that suit you best?