As I write this, I have tea and cinnamon muffins next to me and Christmas carols on the speaker. We shopped today, went out to lunch and I even caught a short winter’s nap.
And I started my After-Christmas list.
This is not your “Resolutions List”, this is the “hey, here is a great idea but I won’t have time to act on it until after the Holidays” list.
You see, I have ideas all the time about new ways to do things or make things better, but I don’t always have time to act on those ideas. And time is an even more scarce and precious commodity during the holiday season, especially this last week before Christmas.
So, as I deck the halls and wrap the gifts and do my daily tasks and work with clients, I also make notes of things I want to do but NOT RIGHT NOW.
For example, current tasks and projects on the After-Christmas List include but are not limited to:
- Move all my personal emails from my old email address to the new gmail address (I expect this to take a while!!);
- Unsubscribe from almost every retailer email campaign;
- Send out my business New Years Cards (don’t have to go out until next week!);
- Review and cull my reading pile;
- Reorganize the laundry room, after all the Christmas gifts are out of it!;
- Wrap the gifts for my side of our extended family (we’re celebrating with them the end of the month); and
- Teach my teenager how to do his laundry.
All of these ideas are really good ideas. Important ideas. Ideas I want to implement. But NOT THIS WEEK. This week, there are parties to attend, cookies to bake (and eat), White Christmas waiting for me on the DVR (I’ve never seen it!!!), and more fun, friends and family to appreciate.
So, this week, I challenge you to:
- Focus on Christmas and your holidays, and not get distracted!;
- Take note of the new ideas that occur to you; but
- Prioritize your activities, taking care of the tasks that need to be done this week, and putting the other ones on your After-Christmas List!
Merry Christmas to All, and to all a good night.