Big progress and big changes can be made in little pieces.
Too often, we believe that great progress towards a goal can only be made with a great investment of time and effort. We get stuck in perfectionist thinking, believing that we can only make progress or work on a project if we have a bunch of uninterrupted hours all together (that doesn’t sound like my typical day or week, how about you?).
However, maintenance and progress towards goals really can happen in bits and pieces of time, in 5 or 10 or 15 minute increments, fit in around all the other tasks and responsibilities we take care of on a regular basis.
For example, consider the 7th game of the 2016 World Series.
I would love to know what was said to the Chicago Cubs team during the 17 minute rain delay in the 7th game of the World Series back in November.
If you were watching the game that night (as myself, my family and most of the cities of Chicago and Cleveland plus millions of others were), you may remember the rain delay.
It was a late night with an extra inning, so when the rain delay was called, I decided to go to bed. In those 17 minutes, I plugged in my phone to charge, brushed my teeth, put on my PJs and hit the pillow.
As I drifted off, I heard my husband and sons start to chat again and I figured (correctly) that the delay was over and the game had resumed. So Of Course I got up and watched the fantastic end.
17 minutes. The team all said how important and pivotal the talk in the weight room was, how simple and moving words made the difference.
And here we are, in 2017. Let’s appreciate that symmetry. As we begin 2017, what can we learn from the 17 minute rain delay?
Do not underestimate the power and potential and progress that can be found in small bits of time. 5, 10, 15 minutes? 17 Minutes? I’m just sayin’!
So, what can we do in 17 minutes (or less) that can help us have a better, healthier, kinder, more productive, more organized 2017?
- Take our vitamins;
- Take a power nap;
- Take a shower;
- Make our bed;
- Run an errand;
- Text or call a friend when we think of them;
- Pay a bill, either in person or on-line;
- Respond to an email ( I just booked a presentation for April. 2 minutes. done!);
- Delete a bunch of emails;
- Unsubscribe from a catalog or retailer;
- Steep a cup of tea;
- Clean out the fridge; or
- Fold a couple loads of laundry, and put it all away.
And per my awesome friends and readers:
- Reorganize our purse or bag (receipts; discard or file, update or toss notes/ lists, change, bills in place;
- Clean that pile of mail off the printer;
- Clean out junk mail (both physical and email), as well as
- Empty the recycling bin (virtual and physical);
- Throw out the garbage in the car (No, C., no judgement here!);
- 10 minute pick ups in each room;
- Take 5 min when you use the bathroom to wipe it all down;
- 10 min quick clean up of my desk;
- Gather dishes(coffee cups!) from various reading spots and put in dishwasher;
- Empty and reload dishwasher, makes a huge difference;
- Go through the house, gather shoes, put in correct bedrooms;
- Do a once thru the house to pick up items and put them where they BELONG; and
- Stash a bag on every floor for donations, add to the bag as you come across things to purge!
Imagine with me, friends. If we were open to taking little steps instead of waiting to take great strides to our goals. We could feel the rush of accomplishment in a steady glow, stay motivated, makes changes mid-stride. Let’s think about 2017, and all the great progress we can make in 17 minute-or-less pieces!
Here’s to a great 2017!
Receive more ideas and suggestions like these;
Book time with me in person or virtually;
Arrange a presentation for your upcoming event; or
Discover the benefits of Organizational Coaching;
Please contact me.