Are “get fit”, “eat healthier” or “lose weight” goals of yours for 2017? And those have been really easy to accomplish, right?
We have good intentions, of course, but perhaps we’ve hit some bumps on the road to getting healthier! We can succeed when our kitchen works with us towards our goals!
Here’s a tip: A cluttered kitchen leads us to unhealthy habits. Conversely, cleaning up your kitchen helps you create and keep healthy habits. And I have data to back these statements up, click here for more info:
So, out with the old and in with the new!
Out With The Old:
- Clear your counters. Give yourself space to prepare healthy food.
- As you clear the kitchen, pull out the rogue holiday items you find, and put them away with your holiday decor in the attic or basement.
- Clear the Cabinets:
- Clear the holiday snacks out of the cabinets. It’s been over a month, let them go!
- Save money and free up space: Don’t shop! Use what you have on hand this week!
- Check Expiration dates. Toss the really old stuff, and add the close-to-expiring items to your menu.
- Check open items for staleness (is that a word?), and toss the gross stuff.
- Clear out the fridge – again, checking expiration dates and investigating all those mysterious plastic containers. Same for the freezer. Add found items to your menu this week, to use up what you have on hand!
- Clean out your utensil drawers – take everything out, wipe out the drawer and let it dry, then put the items back in the drawer, after editing of course! Purge old or broken items, and duplicates.
In With The New:
- Re-populate the cabinets and fridge with healthy food items.
- If you must buy snacks and things, for the other people in your house who ARE NOT trying to eat healthier, limit the variety and location to a single bin or shelf, and populate the rest of the kitchen with healthier options.
- Healthy Habits:
- Meal Prep is one of the best habits you can create for eating healthier. Pack healthy lunches for the week, leave them in the fridge, and then grab and go when you head out in the morning!
- Meal prep success relies on storage containers. Which leads us to …Plastic Containers. Oh boy. Pull them out. Match up the bottoms and tops. Toss the broken, stained or lonely/ unmatched containers.
- Drink more water! Corral your reusable water bottles, pare them down to your favorite 3 or 4 (I once found 37 in a kitchen.) Store those water bottles where they are convenient and likely to be used! And take one with you every day!
- Save time, money and calories this year, and take your own coffee with you! Store those go-mugs and coffee where they are convenient, too!
- If your healthy habits include smoothies, put all your smoothie equipment in a basket next to or near your blender. Do the same with any of your smoothie ingredients, like a fruit basket in the fridge, or a bin in the cabinet above the blender.
- Bring out the healthy foods, store them front and center. Make healthy eating convenient!
Spend some time in your kitchen this week,
clear the clutter that is holding you back, and
make your kitchen work for you!
Receive more ideas and suggestions like these;
Book time with me in person or virtually;
Arrange a presentation for your upcoming event; or
Discover the benefits of Organizational Coaching;
Please contact me.