it was my constant companion. Most days, amidst working and family and living our lives, I was also planning / orchestrating / cleaning or occasionally waiting for activities centered on the Kitchen, and by extension, my office. No summer va-ca for this girl.
- Under-cabinet lighting! This is truly a game changer. In the Old Kitchen, we had ceiling track lighting. As soon as we stood at a counter to work on food prep or anything else, we would block our own task lighting. The under-cabinet lighting makes the whole kitchen GLOW, while providing task lighting any where we need it! This is a simple upgrade, you can purchase ropes of LED lighting that simply plug in at any home improvement store.
- Clear counters. Our counters were always clear before, but now that they are also beautiful, I am truly loath to leave anything on them. One of my favorite (and cheap) purchases to complete the project was this dish drain that fits over the smaller side sink and can be easily slid over or rolled away (Amazon.com, ILifetech Roll-Up Dish Drying Rack).
- Zones. Inspired by hotel stays and our occasional house guests, I now have a breakfast station. My coffee maker lives on this small counter, along with the fresh fruit basket and napkins. In addition, the cabinet above houses breakfast bars and Pop Tarts (my sons’ quick breakfasts of choice), our daily vitamins and supplements, the toaster, and coffee / tea / hot chocolate supplies, etc.
- Cabinets that reach to the ceiling. Our old cabinets ended about a foot from the ceiling. The tops were dusty, and storing stuff up there looked cluttered, so we never used the space. If you don’t want to remodel, you can also re-imagine how you use your cabinets. Use the bottom shelf or 2 for daily use items, the middle shelf for items you use once a week, and the top shelves for items you use less often but would still like to keep accessible.
- Our SUPER QUIET new dishwasher. Our kitchen opens into our family room, so the quiet dishwasher has made relaxing in the evening much easier. You can achieve the same quiet results by running your dishwasher when you’re not around, either while you’re sleeping or at work.
- There are more kitchen remodel tales to tell, most of them good, and all of them with a happy ending! But spend some time in your kitchen this week, and think about how you can make small changes with big, positive impact!