Fall is in the air.
It was 49.2 degrees this morning. The forecast calls for a high of 70, but let me tell you, it was very dark and chilly at 5 am.
In response, all day I have been mulling over my “It’s really Fall now” list of things to do, to clear clutter and stay organized. Perhaps you have that list, too? Perhaps you are looking for some suggestions? Here are a few!!
- Check your entry way, and swap out your accessories for the new season.
Clean out the accessory basket by the door, review the contents, toss the old or broken items (empty bug spray bottle, beat up shopping bags), and put away all but a few of your absolute favorite warmer weather items (just in case you really do need that base ball cap again). Now re-stock the basket with hats and gloves, umbrellas and scarves.
- Check your entry way, and swap out your shoes for the new season, too. So long flip flops, hello boots and wellies. Toss the old or unmatched flip or flop, get rid of all but the last pair or two of sneakers (“Truly, dear, no one needs 4 pairs of old sneakers for ‘yard work.'” ). Take in any shoes in need of repair, and put away the rest. Then make space for the colder weather shoes and boots. Do the same with sport items. Play it Again Sports, anyone?
- Look around your home, and make note of projects and repairs to be completed. Make some plans or make some calls. Get on the schedule with service providers now before their schedules fill ip around the holidays. Better to maintain – furnace checks and regular carpet cleaning – than to pay for last minute or emergency repairs or replacement.
- Pantry and Fridge shopping. Check your cabinets and fridge. Check your expiration dates and use up some of the foods you have on hand, to clear clutter and make room for holiday / seasonal items.
- De-furnish. We have a 2 x 5 table sitting in the basement. We moved it over the summer when our old kitchen cabinets and counter top were installed in the laundry room. We should have put it in the crawl space at the time, but we didn’t. It currently serves no purpose. It goes AWAY today. At a client’s yesterday, we collapsed 2 folding tables and a couple of chairs and put them away – they’ve been up for YEARS. A client with a penchant for small side tables (they’re EVERYWHERE, and hold only clutter) took 3 or 4 to a local resale shop.
In the interest of clearing physical and visual clutter, what small (or large) items could you do without? Put them away or let them GO!
- Drop off stuff. Bags of donations, like clothes or books or shoes? Recycling? Items to be returned to a store? Stuff that belongs to other people? Take those piles / bags and boxes that are next to the door or already in the car, and get them Gone, gone, gone!!
6 tasks are enough for this week. Next week’s list holds tasks like finishing switching the closet to Fall, window washing and putting away the deck furniture, but those can wait until then!!
What will you do this week to Embrace Fall, clear clutter and get organized?