Hooooo boy, it’s May!
May brings school picnics and field trips, weddings, graduations, concerts and end-of-the-school-year award events. The school year is wrapping up, but we still have finals! And as some activities wind down, others are gaining speed!
We have family members gearing up for house sales and moving. We’re looking at camps and activities, and making summer travel plans with a college reunion, work conference, house guests, and weekends away.
And all this on top of – Oh Right! – the activities of daily living.
So, if you feel like your head is spinning this month, too – and it’s only the first week! – take a few moments today or tomorrow to make some plans, take care of business and set yourself up to have a great and busy May!
Here are a few ways to succeed:
- Maintain your healthy habits. When we are the busiest and want to skip our daily exercise,good night’s sleep or healthy eating is just when we need most to keep up!
- Grab your calendar, pull up a seat and make a plan. Make sure all your events and responsibilities are listed. Look ahead and take care of scheduling snags now instead of waiting until later! (For example, 3 cars for 4 drivers and the teenager has job training this Thursday. Time to get creative, now instead of Thursday!)
- Pare Down. Review your To-Do list, and move everything that doesn’t absolutely have to be done right now to a different day, week or month . Make notes for next month, when the schedule loosens up.
- Review your upcoming events or responsibilities, and note the details and the other follow-up steps! Jot down place and time of course, but the other steps, too! For example, we received an invitation to a graduation party out of town and we will be unable to attend. You and I know our job is not done when we RSVP – there is a card and gift to purchase and mail. Add those shopping items and errands-to-run to the Master To-Do List so we don’t forget!
- Run through the wardrobe options with EVERYONE! Graduation? First Communion? End of Year Concert? Make sure NOW that the dress shoes still fit, the suit jacket isn’t stained, the favorite tie is back from the cleaner, etc.
- “Hooray, You Did It!” x 10! Remember Christmas? And how you have a few extra hostess gifts stashed, or generic greeting cards and gift cards? Same idea, stock up on some gender neutral “Hooray, You Did It!” cards, gift cards, and bottles of wine for Just In Case.
- Be Grateful, too. In addition to the congratulations cards, grab a handful of Thank You Notes for teachers, car-pool buddies, coaches, etc.
- Reach Out and Touch Someone. Go ahead and make your appointments: hair cuts, carpet cleaning, cholesterol screening, camp physical, summer dentist appointments – the list is endless. Make the calls this week (before everyone else does), and note the events on your calendar.
- Enjoy! The whole point of this super busy month is to celebrate all of life’s events! Celebrate!